- Clean the furnace filter to remove dust build-ups, make it easier to regulate your home’s temperature, and ultimately decrease energy bills.
- Check the water softener and replenish salt if necessary.
- Clean the faucet aerators and showerheads to remove mineral deposits to prevent any damage.
- Inspect tub and sink drains for debris; unclog if necessary.
- Test smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers, and all ground-fault circuit interrupters to ensure they are in working order.
- Inspect electrical cords for wear.
- Vacuum heat registers and heat vents to help prevent any dust build-up.
- Check that indoor and outdoor air vents are not blocked and are circulating correctly.
- Flush out hot water from the water heater to remove accumulated sediment.
- Clean the garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then flushing with hot water and baking soda.
Winter weather can be harsh on your home. The below-freezing temperatures can cause problems, including frozen pipes and roof damage. To prevent winter harm and avoid calling a professional in the middle of a blizzard, be sure to check these winter items off your home maintenance checklist:
- Cover your air-conditioning unit.
- Check the basement for leaks during thaws.
- Inspect the roof, gutters, and downspouts for damage after storms.
- Vacuum your bathroom exhaust fan grill.
- Vacuum refrigerator and freezer coils and empty and clean drip trays.
- Clean drains in sinks, tubs, showers, and dishwashers.
GoVA Inc. began in 2019 when our CEO and founder, Phil Jawny realized he could give back to the military community. Our mission is simple; we are devoted to being a trusted and credible resource for all military community members.